The Medical Center Company (MCCo) in Cleveland, OH, seeks an accomplished executive to be its next President. The President will lead, promote, and direct a comprehensive utility service delivery organization to nine Member non-profit institutions (Case Western Reserve University (CWRU), University Hospitals of Cleveland (UH), The Cleveland Museum of Art, The Church of the Covenant, The Cleveland Orchestra, Cleveland Botanical Garden, Cleveland Hearing and Speech Center, Cleveland Medical Library Association, and The Cleveland Institute of Art). See Appendix I for a description of each of the Members. The President of MCCo reports to a governing board comprising appointees from each of the Member institutions, who are all of MCCo’s customers. MCCo provides steam, chilled water, and electricity to its Members. The company employs about 35 engineers, technicians, and administrative staff; most of the workforce are members of Teamsters Local 964.
Medical Center Company
MCCo is dedicated to providing safe, reliable, low-cost energy to the many prominent institutions that are its Members. MCCo was formed in 1932 as a not-for-profit district energy company to provide low-cost steam heating safely and reliably to its Members. Today, MCCo produces and distributes both steam and chilled water underground through dedicated piping networks that it owns and maintains. MCCo also distributes electricity purchased from Cleveland Municipal Power through a series of substations and underground conduit systems; MCCo owns and maintains the entire distribution system, including its substation. In the 21st century, MCCo has become the vehicle through which MCCo Members manifest their commitment to improving energy efficiency and advancing technologies that directly benefit the environment and the local economy.
Currently MCCo operates two coal-fired boilers and multiple gas-fired boilers of varying capacity. MCCo will decommission the coal-fired boilers later this year so that its thermal operation will rely entirely on natural gas, with the ability to substitute fuel oil in the event of a gas delivery interruption. In 2015, the consumption of steam provided to members was 1,092,822 M lbs; the consumption of chilled water provided was 43,778,142 ton-hours; and the electricity consumption provided was 202,549,945 kWh with CWRU and UH accounting for the majority of all consumption. See Appendix II for the usage breakdown and buildings serviced. MCCo also has installed and operates several small solar energy production facilities, and MCCo actively pursues opportunities to add alternative energy sources to its portfolio. Please see the Appendix II for more complete information on MCCo’s service area and operational data.
All of the Member institutions are organized and operated exclusively for educational, charitable, or religious purposes and as such are tax-exempt organizations. On the governing board, Case Western Reserve University and University Hospitals each have four trustees, and each of those four trustees has four votes. The other seven Members each have one trustee, each of whom has one vote. The board’s executive committee consists of two representatives each from Case Western Reserve University and University Hospitals, plus a representative of the other Members, who does not vote. The executive committee makes almost all operational and strategic decisions, although the President is appointed by the board. Because CWRU and UH have equal voting power on the executive committee, any decision requires a consensus between them
Cleveland and University Circle
The city of Cleveland is located on the shores of Lake Erie. Offering world-class medical facilities such as University Hospitals, The Cleveland Clinic, and the Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center, Cleveland is home to some of the most well-known and prestigious performing, art, and cultural institutions in the world including MCCo Member organizations the Cleveland Orchestra and the Cleveland Museum of Art, as well as the Cleveland Museum of Natural History and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. Cleveland’s theater district is the second largest performing arts center in the country. The city has a number of higher educational institutions, including MCCo Members Case Western Reserve University and the Cleveland Institute of Art, as well as the Cleveland Institute of Music and Cleveland State University. John Carroll University, Baldwin Wallace College, Oberlin College, Ursuline College, Kent State University, and The University of Akron are nearby.
Recreational activities available in greater Cleveland include three professional sports teams, water ports for boating and fishing, and access to an extensive array of scenic parks including the Cleveland Metroparks (known as the Emerald Necklace) and the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, all situated within a few miles of beautiful Lake Erie.
Residents of Cleveland and surrounding northeast Ohio comprise a diverse population with rich traditions and a colorful cultural heritage and history. Residents also enjoy affordable housing, easily accessible roads and transportation services, and an unparalleled quality of life at a cost-of-living well below that of other major metropolitan areas across the country. For further info see http://www.cleveland.oh.us/
University Circle is a beautiful urban park-like district on the eastern edge of Cleveland and contains a remarkable range of cultural, educational, and medical institutions. University Circle was recently chosen by Forbes Magazine as one of the prettiest neighborhoods in America. It is a world-class center of innovation in health care, education, and arts and culture. It is a dynamic zone of activity with more than 50 non-profit organizations in the Circle; 15 cultural organizations, seven health and social service organizations, eight educational institutions, ten religious organizations, five senior living organizations, three world-class hotels, and over 20 restaurants including a section called “Little Italy” featuring fine restaurants, bake shops, and various places of interest.
All MCCo Members are located in University Circle. While not all institutions that are located in the Circle are Members, there have been discussions from time to time about adding some of them to Company membership, and the President of MCCo would take the lead in those discussions.
The Position – President
The President of MCCo will provide vision, planning, program development, and the implementation and evaluation of the existing district energy system and its plant operation. The president will lead MCCo’s efforts to achieve safe, reliable, cost effective, and environmentally responsible utility service production and distribution. The President will foster collaboration in operational processes striving for optimization in the use of fuels, power, and resources. The President will lead a customer service centric workforce of about 35 as they provide steam, electricity, and chilled water to MCCo’s Member organizations. The President will provide direct supervision of 12 staff including the Vice President of Operations and Construction, Business Manager, Distribution Supervisor, and the Chief Engineer. The President will oversee a budget of $40 million. The President is responsible for every aspect of the management of all production facilities and distribution systems and the execution of capital projects. Additionally, he/she will use his/her expertise in energy infrastructure and energy management and principles to collaborate with Members on cost effective reductions in energy usage and the implementation of energy saving solutions.
Success for this position will be defined through: safe, reliable, cost effective, and environmentally responsible utility distribution systems; strategic capital planning; and creating and maintaining effective collaborations and partnerships with the Member institutions. Progress in the following high impact areas will be particularly important.
- Addressing Infrastructure Needs: The President will have the opportunity to address MCCo infrastructure needs. The new President will oversee the final steps of decommissioning the coal boilers and installing and commissioning a new gas boiler in 2016. A new control room is on the horizon, and the President should have a strategic eye for the evaluation and update of MCCo infrastructure.
- Combined Heat and Power: MCCo has completed a schematic design of a new 25-30 MW combined heat and power plant (CHP), which will enable MCCo for the first time in its history to become a generator of power rather than merely a distributor. The President will lead the Executive Committee through analysis of the feasibility, strengths, opportunities, and challenges of this project before it makes the final decision to move ahead. The President will lead the management – final design, procurement, construction and commissioning – of this major project from beginning to end.
- External Strategic Vision: The President will need to collaborate with Members to build a strategic vision that could include the addition of new Members, explore the provision of additional services to current Members, and jointly determine with current Members facilities expansion plans.
- Internal Strategic Vision: The President will need to pay particular attention to the human capital needs of MCCo. The elimination of coal later this year and the installation of CHP will change MCCo’s workforce needs, and 25% of the existing workforce will be eligible to retire within the next five years. The President will have an opportunity to develop strategic staffing directions and staff training and development plans. Last year MCCo installed a new meter monitoring IT program called Foreseer, and the monitoring, evaluation and updating of equipment is a constant for MCCo.
- Emergency/Contingency Plans: The operational requirements of its Members, especially those of its two largest members – CWRU, a major research university, and UH – require that MCCo deliver power with extraordinary reliability. The President of MCCo will be responsible for risk management and should develop, communicate, and advocate for power loss contingency plans and a business recovery plan in the event of a disaster.
- Focus on Sustainability: CWRU is a signatory to the Carbon Commitment (formerly the American College & University Presidents Climate Commitment) pursuant to which it has committed to being carbon neutral by 2050. The other MCCo Members also are committed to moving toward more sustainable operation. MCCo’s President will be a leader in the development of environmentally sustainable energy sources. MCCo provides technical assistance to Members undertaking conservation and energy management projects, and it has a revolving loan fund through which Members can fund energy efficiency projects that repay the fund with energy savings, and a Renewable Energy Fund that was created and funded after a 1 MW ground solar project was completed and based upon the sale of RECs from existing solar arrays. The President should be a visible leader and voice for continuing these sustainability efforts, creating opportunities for other sustainability efforts, and partnering with organizations like the Great Lakes Energy Institute and CWRU faculty on education and research initiatives.
The President will have the following experiences, knowledge, capabilities, and attributes:
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in some combination of utilities management, boiler plant operations, large plant maintenance and operations, and project management is required. Experience in higher education, hospitals, non-profit institutions, or other similarly complex organizations is preferred;
- Proficiency and knowledge of energy markets, especially natural gas, and hedging strategies; experience with negotiating the procurement of energy;. As MCCo moves to CHP, the president will also need to understand the power market and devise strategies for optimizing MCCo’s use of purchased power and self-generated power;
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local environmental regulations as well as laws impacting the usage and sale of energy;
- Knowledge of sustainable practices, energy conservation, and new innovations in energy distribution and management;
- Experience working with a variety of constituents/members and the ability to balance competing needs/desires. A diplomatic work style;
- Excellent leadership, communication, teamwork, and customer service skills;
- Experience with major construction planning, procurement and management. Successful collaborations with design and construction teams, renovations and maintenance teams;
- Ability to apply and communicate engineering, energy, and other technical concepts across a variety of audiences (technical, non-technical, university, nonprofit, healthcare, political);
- Exhibit innovation, good judgment and reliability in the work place. Encourage staff to acquire new skills and utilize them;
- Experience in building and maintaining effective relationships with members of a governing board, able to communicate clearly with the board, both in informal interactions and in formal presentations;
- Experience working with governmental and community-based individuals and organizations. Excellent communication and presentation skills;
- Experience with labor unions;
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university required; post-graduate degree or equivalent post-graduate training strongly preferred. Engineering degree and/or professional engineer license (P.E.) and Certified Energy Manager (CEM) a plus. Experience with district energy systems is also preferred; and,
- A demonstrated reputation of personal and professional integrity is critical to being successful in this position.
The Brill Neumann team working on this search:
Andy Evans and Tom Phillips
Brill Neumann Associates, Inc.
Please complete and submit a resume, and cover letter, with current contact information to:
MCCo is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity.
Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups,
and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Members served by MCCo
Western Reserve College was founded in 1826 in Hudson, Ohio, about 30 miles southeast of Cleveland. The college—the first in northern Ohio—took its name from the surrounding region (known at that time as the Western Reserve of Connecticut) and emphasized standards, such as the classics, in its curriculum. By 1887, the college had begun hiring forward-thinking scientists, including Edward E. Morley, best known for his collaboration with fellow professor Albert Michelson on the Michelson-Morley Experiment, important empirical work which underpinned Albert Einstein’s work in relativity. With funding from American industrialist Amasa Stone, the college moved in 1882 to “uptown” Cleveland, where it lives today, and assumed the name Western Reserve University.
In 1877, Leonard Case Jr., a philanthropic citizen of Cleveland and early benefactor of the engineering school, began laying the groundwork for the Case School of Applied Science. He initiated a secret trust to endow a polytechnic school in Cleveland. This school would train men in engineering and applied science, enabling them to build on a young, growing nation’s vast resources. Within four months of his death in 1880, the trust was administered and the Case School of Applied Science was born. Classes initially were held in the Case family’s downtown Cleveland home until a provision to Stone’s gift—that Western Reserve University and the Case School of Applied Science occupy adjoining campuses—led to the school’s relocation in 1885 to what is now known as University Circle on the city’s east side.
In 1967 the two institutions agreed that becoming federated would create a complete university worthy of national distinction. Case Western Reserve University (CWRU) immediately became a leading institution for academics and research, as well as one the nation’s top-ranked universities.
Today, CWRU is recognized as a leading national research university and is a member of the Association of American Universities. Its undergraduate program is ranked #37 in national universities by U.S. News and World Report (2015).
The roots of University Hospitals (UH) date back to 1866 when Cleveland’s civic leaders created a community hospital to care for the sick and disabled. A modest house on Wilson Street served as the forerunner for what is today known as University Hospitals. A larger, freestanding hospital known as Lakeside was established to better serve Cleveland’s health care needs and advance the frontiers of medicine. A merger in 1925 between Lakeside, Maternity Hospital, and Babies and Children’s Hospital and Rainbow Hospital marked the establishment of the region’s first multi-hospital system.
Over the last 150 years, UH has grown in global recognition. Today, UH Case Medical Center is one of the nation’s top academic medical centers. The System’s 1032-bed, tertiary medical center, University Hospitals, is an affiliate of Case Western Reserve University. Included in UH are University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital, among the nation’s best children’s hospitals; University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center, part of National Cancer Institute-designated Case Comprehensive Cancer Center at Case Western Reserve University (the nation’s highest designation); and University Hospitals MacDonald Women’s Hospital, Ohio’s only hospital for women.
More than 24,000 physicians and employees constitute University Hospitals and its partnership hospitals, ranking it Northeast Ohio’s second largest private sector employer. UH performs more than 4.5 million outpatient procedures and nearly 63,000 inpatient discharges annually.
University Hospitals’ goal is to provide comprehensive primary and community-based care—the kind of health care people need most—as well as access to the highest quality specialty care when necessary.
The Cleveland Museum of Art was founded in 1913 “for the benefit of all the people forever.” It strives to help the broadest possible audience understand and engage with the world’s great art while honoring the highest aesthetic, intellectual, and professional standards. The museum is one of the world’s most distinguished comprehensive art museums, and is the only museum of its caliber which does not charge for admission.
The original neoclassic building of white Georgian marble was designed by the Cleveland firm of Hubbell & Benes and was constructed at a cost of $1.25 million, and opened in 1916. Located north of the Wade Lagoon, it forms the focus of the city’s Fine Arts Garden. Three important milestones occurred in 1958. On March 4 the first major addition doubled the size of the museum. During the year the museum also received a sizable bequest, which provided the funds necessary to function in the mainstream of national and international art collecting. Dr. Sherman Emery Lee became the museum’s third director. Lee would be known for his long tenure in the director’s role and the development of the museum’s Asian collection, which ranks as one of the finest in the country.
In 1971 another wing was constructed and it contained special exhibition galleries, classrooms, lecture halls, Gartner Auditorium, and the headquarters of the education department. In 1983 another addition to the museum opened and contained the museum’s extensive library, as well as nine new galleries. Katharine Lee Reid, the daughter of former director Sherman Lee, was Director from 2000 through 2005 and under her leadership ground was broken for the Rafael Viñoly-designed renovation and expansion of the entire museum complex. The museum’s renovation and expansion project continued under her successor, Timothy Rub, with the renovated 1916 Beaux-Arts building reopening in June 2008 and the new east wing in June 2009. William M. Griswold was named the tenth director of the museum in May 2014, and is currently leading the museum as it approaches its centennial anniversary.
Founded in 1918, the Cleveland Orchestra is one of the five American orchestras informally referred to as the “Big Five”. Cleveland is the smallest city among the traditional “Big Five” orchestras; the others are based in Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Chicago. Several times The Cleveland Orchestra has been touted as America’s finest, and has been compared favorably to many of the great orchestras in Central Europe, where it regularly tours.
Severance Hall is the Cleveland Orchestra’s home. It was built for the orchestra in 1931.
During the summer months, the orchestra presents its annual Blossom Festival at the Blossom Music Center in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. The orchestra also has long-term performing relationships in Lucerne, Vienna, New York City, a residency in Miami, and has conducted multi-concert tours on the West Coast off and on since the 1960s.
The Church of the Covenant was founded in 1920 from the merger of 3 churches. The Euclid Street (United) Presbyterian Church, originally located at Euclid Avenue and E. 14th Street, was organized in 1853. Known as the Euclid Avenue Church after 1880, it merged in 1906 with Beckwith Memorial Presbyterian Church (organized in 1885), located at Fairmount (E. 107th) Street and Deering Street, and became the Euclid Avenue Presbyterian Church. In 1909 this church constructed an English Gothic building on land adjacent to the Women’s College of Western Reserve University. Designed by Cram and Ferguson, the building featured a rose window and a 140 ft. tower between the parish house and sanctuary. In 1920 the Second Presbyterian Church (chartered in 1837), located at the corner of Prospect Street and E. 30th Street, joined the Euclid Avenue Presbyterian Church at its Euclid Avenue location; the name was changed to Church of the Covenant.
The Covenant carries out its stated mission, “To provide Christian outreach to persons of all ages,” through the Community Day Care Center, ministry to students of Case Western Reserve University, a weekly radio broadcast, and many overseas projects. In 1972 a contemporary-style community education building, designed by Richard Fleishman, was added to the original structure. In 1980 the Church of the Covenant was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1983 the Covenant, as a participating member of the Presbytery of the Western Reserve, joined in the National Plan of Union and changed from United Presbyterian to Presbyterian Church.
The story of the Cleveland Botanical Garden starts in 1916 when Eleanor Squire donated her collection of 250 horticultural books to the Garden Club of Greater Cleveland, which housed the books at the Museum of Art. On January 24, 1930, six members of the Garden Club decided the small library deserved a dedicated home; and they conceived a plan to transform an empty, brick boathouse along Wade Lagoon into a garden center that would house the collection of horticultural books and serve as a place for people to learn about plants and gardening.
In 1959, a flash flood along East Boulevard prompted leaders of The Garden Center to consider finding a new location with more space and higher ground. A new site for The Garden Center was found just to the north on land that previously had housed the Cleveland Zoo. The Garden Center of Greater Cleveland opened at its new location on January 12, 1966.
In the beginning of 1994, The Garden Center of Greater Cleveland changed its name to Cleveland Botanical Garden. In an effort to reach more people with its educational offerings and passion for plants, the Garden became a destination attraction in July 2003 with the heralded opening of the Eleanor Armstrong Smith Glasshouse. This 18,000-square-foot glass conservatory became the first of its kind, focusing on the flora and fauna of two distinct biomes — the spiny desert of Madagascar and the tropical rainforest of Costa Rica. The Glasshouse was the result of a successful $50 million capital campaign and endowment drive that also led to more enhancements: expansion of the Garden to 10 acres; creation of three more gardens; substantial growth of plant collections and the addition of underground parking; an atrium; an expanded gift shop and café; and a climate-controlled environment for the library’s rare-book collection.
Cleveland Hearing & Speech Center (CHSC) has a long and remarkable history of helping individuals with communication challenges to become independent members of the greater Cleveland community. Founded in 1921, CHSC began with the simple mission of providing lip-reading classes for adults who were deaf or hard of hearing.
CHSC is the nation’s oldest hearing and speech center and Northeast Ohio’s only nonprofit organization dedicated solely to serving those with special communication needs. CHSC consistently serves nearly 8,000 children and adults each year and provides the following programs and services: Hearing Services, Community Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, and Speech-Language and Learning. The Center also oversees the management of the Regional Infant Hearing Program, which services 14 counties in Northeast Ohio.
A staff of more than 50 professionals — audiologists, sign language interpreters, speech-language pathologists, outreach specialists and administrative staff — are employed at the Center’s headquarters in University Circle and three branch offices in South Euclid, Broadview Heights and Lorain. CHSC also has a 65+-year affiliation with Case Western Reserve University’s Department of Psychological Sciences.
Cleveland Medical Library Association was founded on the evening of November 27, 1894 after a group of physicians representing the Cleveland Medical Society, the Cuyahoga County Medical Society, and the Society of the Medical Sciences gathered for the purpose of establishing a formal medical library.
In 1922, the Association engaged the noted Cleveland architectural firm of Walker and Weeks to prepare plans for new facilities. At this time Western Reserve University’s medical school (now the medical School of Case Western Reserve University) was about to move from its downtown location to University Circle where it would be adjacent to the University. Lakeside Hospital, associated with the medical school, was about to make the same move. Eager to have a medical library close to these institutions, the University invited the Library Association to build its new building near the medical school. On November 13, 1926, the Allen Memorial Medical Library was opened at the corner of Euclid Avenue and Adelbert Road, a short walk from the school and the hospital. In 1983, the Allen Library was entered in the National Register of Historic Places.
The close proximity of the Allen Library and the University’s medical school, assured a close relationship. In 1948, the medical school established a central medical library, which it had not had before, and in the late 1950s, the Association and CWRU began discussing mutual concerns regarding library needs and development. By 1960, the talks focused on how the libraries could formally work together operationally and administratively to the advantage of both. As a result, the two institutions entered into an agreement to operate their respective medical libraries as if they were one. Shared staff, shared purchases, and operational integration created a more efficient and cost effective library that was well prepared to enter the fast approaching electronic age. Together, the two libraries were named The Cleveland Health Sciences Library. The integration of the two libraries was further enhanced in the late 1990s when the Association and the University renewed the agreement binding them. Additionally, the Dittrick Medical History Center became part of the College of Arts and Sciences in 1997, and thus has been further integrated into the life of the University.
The Cleveland Institute of Art is a nationally recognized four-year accredited college of art and design. It is an independent college committed to leadership and vision in all forms of visual and arts education. Its mission is to nurture the intellectual, artistic, and professional development of students and community members through rigorous visual arts and design education. The Cleveland Institute of Art attracts students who are serious about becoming professional artists and designers and who seek a school with an atmosphere that is both intellectually stimulating and artistically challenging. Considered to be one of the top ten professional colleges of art and design in the country, the Cleveland Institute of Art is accredited by North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and the National Association of Schools of Art and Design.
Medical Center Company Operations Summary
Service – Steam
Peak load: 385,000 lb/hour
2015 Consumption: 1,092,822 M lbs
2015 Revenue: $15,299,500
Service – Chilled Water
Peak load: 22,000 tons
2015 Consumption: 43,778,142 ton-hours
2015 Revenue: $10,594,300
Service – Electricity
Peak load: 48,000 kW
2015 Consumption: 202,549,945 kWh
2015 Revenue: $11,687,200
Capacity – Gas Boilers
Gas Boiler #3 1988 50,000 PPH
Gas Boiler #4 1988 50,000 PPH
Gas Boiler #6 1992 100,000 PPH
Gas Boiler #5 2001 100,000 PPH
Gas Boiler #7 2010 100,000 PPH
Gas Boiler #8 will also be 100,000 PPH
Existing Steam Site Plan (Click on image to enlarge)
Existing Chilled Water Site Plan (Click on image to enlarge)
Existing Electric Service Site Plan (Click on image to enlarge)